Why do you want to be a Board member? What do you hope to gain over the term of your Board membership?
I have enjoyed working with the leadership of APBP over the years, and I desire to add value to their mission of advancing bike and ped best practices and policies nationwide. I have worked in the field of active transportation planning for 15 years, and can bring a strong perspective on how to work with both public entities and advocates on creating bike and ped-friendly cultures in their communities.
As a Board member, I aim to both share my knowledge and experience in the field, as well as learn from others about successful approaches. I aim to bring these ideas directly into my job - always striving to provide the best strategies for my communities to employ.
Please describe your goals for APBP and how your leadership on the Board will benefit the association.
My goals include the following:
- Advance the mission of APBP as a leader for pedestrian/bicycle practices and policies nationwide.
- Bring to the table my years of experience working with local, county, state and federal entities on creating walkable and bikable environments.
- Work with other Board members on promoting the organization as a prime clearinghouse for information and resource for practitioners.
- Assist with effective social media strategies to educate the lay public on the value of walkable and bikable communities.
- Formulate and support legislative objectives to ensure the sustainability of state and federal funding for planning, facilities and maintenance.
- Develop continuing education opportunities, which includes exploring a certification process.
Past volunteer/leadership positions with APBP:
I have not held any positions with APBP but have been a regular attendee of sponsored conferences and webinars.
Past volunteer/leadership positions with other organizations:
Board Treasurer: American Discovery Trail Society
Board President: Rebuilding Together of South Lake County
Board President: Friends of the Veterans Memorial Parkway, Inc.
Governor's Appointment: Indiana Bike Trails Task Force
Advisory Board Member: Shirley Heinze Land Trust
Board Member: Greenways Foundation of Indiana
Board Member: American Planning Association, Indiana Chapter
Lake County Plan Commission
Crown Point Plan Commission