APBP Board of Directors Candidate Statement
Bicycle and Pedestrian Manager - City of Mesa Arizona
Please briefly describe your current position and how your work relates to the bicycle/pedestrian field:
Bicycle and Pedestrian Manager for the City of Mesa Arizona.
Why do you want to be a Board member? What do you hope to gain over the term of your Board membership?
As a board member I would like to bring more awareness to the western side of the United States and to work to increase the membership in that area. I feel that we have a great representation in the east, but lack that same membership and active attendance from the western states.
I also believe that the "Local Chapter" program is a fantastic way to not only to increase membership, but also to keep the membership and public involved and aware that this APBP is very active in all aspects of bicycling and walking. I would like to see this program better defined and expanded upon. As the program stands now, there is very little direction and support from the national organization.
Please describe your goals for APBP and how your leadership on the Board will benefit the association.
I am a people person and love to help and motivate and assist people with tasks that are being completed. I would like to contribute my time to APBP in order to help not only lead the efforts that are being made with regards to bicycles and pedestrians, but also to mentor and pass down my knowledge that I have of 20+ years of multi-modal planning, knowledge and guidance that younger member's of APBP are needing in order to carry on the important work that needs to be advocated for.
Past volunteer/leadership positions with APBP:
I am currently the co-president of the Arizona Chapter of APBP.
Past volunteer/leadership positions with other organizations:
I have had the opportunity to provide leadership in several different organizations. Here is a list of a few them:
* Chairperson - Kittitas County Search and Rescue
* Vice President - Kittitas County Sheriff's Posse
* President of the Eastern Washington Quarter Horse Association
* Board of Directors - Eastern Washington Quarter Horse Association
* Vice Chair of the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee for the Maricopa County Association of Governments
* Chair of the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee for the Maricopa County Association of Governments
* Co-President – Arizona Chapter of APBP