2011 PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SEMINAR
APBP's Professional Development Seminar is a biennial conference distinguished by in-depth seminars and a collegial atmosphere where participants network, share knowledge, and learn to propel policy into practice. Attend this conference for cutting edge training and the newest, best information to advance your work and your career.
PDS 2011 takes place in Charlotte, N.C., a living laboratory for Complete Streets implementation. The conference will offer three classroom training tracks: Complete Streets Design and Implementation; New Guidelines, Research and Standards; and Livability and Economic Development. Mobile workshops and bike and walking tours complement the classroom sessions. Each 3-hour or 3.5-hour time slot offers a choice of three classroom sessions and two mobile sessions. Classroom and mobile sessions begin in the morning on Tuesday, October 25, and end at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 27.
WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND?
- Livelier, longer classroom and mobile sessions foster intense, in-depth discussion between new and seasoned professionals
- Invigorating mobile sessions take you into the field on foot, bike, light rail and transit to directly experience complete streets and learn how your city can become a leader in implementation
- Classroom sessions teach cutting edge theory, policies and practices for integrating all modes of transportation
- Learn about the newest and best guides, research and model programs
- Connect with other professionals to exchange information for future collaboration and career advancement
- Re-energize by networking with your colleagues in sustainable transportation
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEE?
- A choice of five out of 16 classroom sessions
- Three breakfasts (T/W/Th), two lunches (T/W), and two evening receptions (M/T) plus five morning and afternoon breaks (T/W/Th)
These sessions and events are available for an additional fee:
- Mobile sessions. Ten mobile tours are available for a small additional fee. Mobile sessions are 3 hours or 3.5 hours in length.
- Closing luncheon with a speaker TBA on Thursday, 11:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday evening reception at the Charlotte Trolley Museum, 8:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Optional all-day sessions on Monday, October 24. Each workshop is seven hours; choose from one of five:
- Smart Trips: How to Encourage Travel Options (classroom)
- Toward Zero Deaths: What Does TZD Mean for Bike Ped Professionals? (classroom)
- Greenville's Evolution from Mill Town to Vibrant Village; Spartanburg's Active Living Leadership (mobile tour of Greenville and Spartanburg, S.C.)
- Small Town, Big Reputation: What Does Livability Look Like in Davidson? (mobile tour of Davidson, N.C.)
APBP has applied to the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) for Certification Maintenance credits for all PDS 2011 sessions. A certificate of attendance will be offered to those who document their professional development hours in other fields.Registration limited to 400 attendees. Register early to save money and assure your spot at PDS 2011!